Monday, October 10, 2011

Chicken rice

Yesterday when I mentioned to WL that I want to cook chicken rice on Monday, first thing he reminded me was that he wants coriander with the chicken. Okay, I hate the smell of coriander and I don't eat it. Then he gave me another option, how about scallion? Hmmm, I don't have any of the 2 vegetables he requested. This means that I have to make a trip to hypermarket on my way back from work today. So I packed my bag earlier before my normal off hour and dropped by the hypermarket on my way home. I looked at the basket of coriander and I was so glad that they were all either turned yellow, black or not fresh. yay! No need to eat coriander and I don't have to stand the smell of it! :P I searched for scallion and found a pack with 3 stalks for RM2.99. It's pricey for such a small vege and it's not going to be any main dish, just for garnishing but no choice, I have to buy it for the exchange of smelly coriander. I also grabbed a Japanese cucumber for the green later

I came home and started poaching the chicken when the rain started to fall. I felt so relieved that I am already at home admiring my kitchen.

Chicken preparation:
1. Clean 2 chicken legs and cut off excess fat and save for later use.
2. Fill water into pot with a teaspoon of salt , amount enough just to cover the chicken and start the fire
3. When it's almost at the boiling point, put the chicken in the pot and let it simmer. Control the heat so that the water does not boil. We just want to poach it for about 45 minutes.
4. Prepare a small bowl of salt mix with sesame oil and a brush for applying the mixture to chicken later
5. At the end of 45 minutes, take the chicken out from the hot water and place it directly into cold water to stop the cooking process. Save the chicken broth
6. Brush the salt and sesame oil mixture onto all sides of chicken
7. Cut into desired size and apply the left over salt and sesame oil mixture onto the chicken pieces.
8. Pour about 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and sprinkle some pepper on the chicken. Garnish with a lot of cut scallion

Rice preparation
1. Wash rice for 4 and set aside
2. Heat up the chicken fat that you saved earlier in wok until the oil is generated from the fat.
3. Saute chopped garlic (2 cloves) and ginger (small piece)in the chicken oil
4. Mix the rice into the wok and cook for a while maybe about 2 minutes
5. Scoop the rice into rice cooker
6. Scoop the oil layer from the chicken broth into rice cooker. Add the broth until desired water level required to cook the rice according to your rice cooker instruction
7. Sprinkle some salt and pepper into the rice cooker and start cooking
8. Serve rice with slices of cucumber on side

Soup preparation
1. Start boiling up the left over chicken broth
2. Put in slices of carrot as much as you like and some fish balls into the broth and let simmer for 5-10 minutes
3. Add salt and pepper
4. Garnish with scallion





Serves 2 with chicken but with 2 extra bowls of rice saved for tommorrow :p faint..

WL came back with a box of salted chicken in his hand and said it's from his colleague's baby fullmoon and he wanted to ring me to tell me not to cook so we can eat the salted chicken. But he also said my cell was switched off. There is a phone at home, and he forgot we have another phone that he can reach me. I switched on my cell and saw his misscall at 6.52pm. Hello husband, at 6.52pm, the chicken is already cooked. Can you not call me at 6.52pm and tell me no need to cook? Hahaha... Anyway, the salted chicken has to sit in the fridge until 2 or 3 days later because I do not want to eat chicken everyday :p

3 comments:

yslee101 said...

very nice!

yslee101 said...

and banyak timun!

pik lay said...

Of course banyak timun or else you will say my food not vege again. Haha . This time must show u!