Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Mushroom and shrimp spaghetti

All because of the expensive button mushroom on sale in Jusco last weekend, I grabbed a box at RM6.99. Maybe the easiest way to use it in cooking is to associate the mushroom with pasta because cream is so expensive so an absolute no-no to mushroom soup as I had wasted a whole packet of cream worth RM20+ the last time I purchased one. Thinking that my "essential pasta cookbook" had dissolved in the air after searching all corners and drawers in the house for it, I found the green colour cover book after 40 minutes. While gasping for air, I looked through the pages and found nothing I fancy with mushroom because they like to cook mushroom with cream and that's what I want to avoid. So I opted for spaghetti marinara only that I don't have any other seafood except shrimps. The shrimps were bought an hour earlier on my way back home from work when I stopped for groceries in one of the supermarket nearby. I love marinara because WeeL made it for me on Valentine's Day 2 years back. It looks and taste almost like marinara but it is not. I made some modifications to many of the ingredients.




For the tomato sauce:
3 tablespoon cooking oil
1 onion medium size diced
1 baby carrot, diced
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 can of tomato puree (the smallest size)
2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon chinese rice wine
1/2 cup chicken stock

4 button mushrooms, sliced
6 large shrimps, cleaned and removed skin

1. Heat the oil in pan, add onion, carrot and garlic and stir over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add in mushroom and stir for 5 more minutes
2. Add tomato puree, sugar, wine and chicken stock. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally
3. Add shrimps and cook for 5 more minutes
4. Cook pasta in large pan of boiling salted/greased water until al dente. Drain and set aside.
5. Combine the sauce with pasta and serve


I served the pasta with boiled corn and mashed potato because I worry the big boy doesn't have enough.

2 comments:

Dudette said...

Do watch out for mushrooms going on sale in the grocery stores as the mushrooms may not be fresh. Unfresh mushroom could cause major food poisoning.

pik lay said...

lol. I guess not. They looked very fresh. It was Jusco day ;)

Thanks for the advice anyway, will be aware of this next time.