Thursday, July 10, 2008

Volunteery, Beaching & Hiking

On last Monday my colleagues at work place had this teambuilding at Pantai Kerachut. I remember the last teambuilding was paintball and I did not played. Now this time round I am eager to show my complete strength to hike up the hill and pick up most of the rubbish at the beach. OK. This time, we are going to do some volunteery service on behalf of Intel. We will clean the beach and up the hiking trail when we supposed to hike all the way up the hill and down to the clean beach where "some" turtles will come to give birth at the right season, Pantai Kerachut.

Everybody arrived at the national park at about 9.30 in the morning car-pooling in a cars. We registered ourselves (wrote our name and signed. that's all which took more than half an hour because the number of people are too many) and the committee distributed the lunch pack. Mine was spicy deluxe chicken from McD.



After a little briefing from the organizing committee, we proceeded to our own team and started shouting some weird slogan. Luckily we have the baba Leonard in the team, that's how we got the ole ole a a slogan so quickly.


Group photo as usual without the photographer and everyone started walking picking up rubbish whenever we saw one.



Some people spotted a huge jellyfish and were making fuss about it. Hehe. I walked over and joined, happily managed to get Chor Chen to capture a good picture with the jellyfish. It was so big and transparent, still alive, buried halfly in the sand.



I was so eager to clean up the beach and saw this Milo 3 in 1 packet floating on the water. I slowly moved a step front and stepped my right leg near to the water. It sank! My leg went in and stucked there. I was struggling to pull it out but failed. I was panic for a moment and shouted "hey, I can't get my leg out". Some people came and helped out. So do the photographers who thought this will make a great picture. -_-'''.


My leg actually went in deeper by time. So I got to do something. I released my foot from my beloved sandal and took it out. Voila! My leg was safe. But I need to save my sandal too, so I shove my hand into the hole that my leg made and pulled my sandal with all my mighty strength. I was worried I might break it and felt so excited when I retrieved my sandal out of the sand. Now I have 1 muddy leg, 1 muddy sandal and 2 dirty hands.




I went to a stable hard surface near the water and washed a little accompanied by Leonard and Xiao Wei (very loving couple. hehe). I continued hiking with the rest of the people, most of them already ran up the hill. I really mean ran. I was almost the tail of the team and we walked very slowly stopped every a while to rest. I grasped for breath and was getting hard time to breath also the heavy backpack did not help. I had 1 lunch and 2 bottles of water in my backpack causing my back a little ache.


When some people decided to give up hiking up, I asked Soek Junn if we should follow them. We thought it for 5 seconds and made up our mind to go down because we were more than happy when heard that we could go to the other side of the hill to Pantai Kerachut by boat. But going down the hill took us some time too.

I washed my sandals and legs when I got down at the stream, with Chor Chen the photographer following me hoping to get another great photo when I fell into the water.



After some negotiation by the boss, 8 of us went onto a boat. We were thinking that we will be the first group to reach Pantai Kerachut and can show off by hiding the fact that we actually took the boat. =)


But I was surprised when all of them already at the beach when we reached. Hehe.



They were jealous of us. See their grumpy and unwelcoming face? =P


We all ate our food and rested a while. Then had the usual teambuilding activities ; games. We did kite making and creating a "project" using materials provided to safe keep an egg from broken in a "very" high free fall.




So happy that our kite was the first one to fly up the sky. It was over our expectation. Our kite was different from the rest because we used the colour paper on the wrong side. It turned out to be white instead of the right side which is green.


I did not help much in flying the kite because I have no experience. Haha.


After that, we walked to a nearby place to see some tiny turtles and went home in boats. I was exhausted (from the hike), dehydrated (very hot sun), wet (from the heavy rain while we were going back in boat), and tired (talked too much).

5 comments:

Xweing said...

Oops... my boss looks sunburnt :P Leonard too... ahahah

Ei, btw, how u know that monster of a jellyfish is still alive ar? It said hi to u ar?

pik lay said...

If the jellyfish is not alive, i will look like dried fish.

Chiu Pin Teo said...

Haha! you look so funny one legged. maybe another jellyfish was pulling you from below. btw they can be quite dangerous...

Fang Fang said...

i wish i can be there to witness the best highlight of the day.

pik lay said...

COme back! We all miss you..