Monday, August 04, 2008

Durian


At my grandma house, my mom was over the moon because she managed to taste the durians from her mom's own durian trees. It was long since we can had the golden opportunity to visit my grandma in time when the durians were picked up. These were the fruits from almost ending durian season so the size was small. They always taste great as I remember. I know the size and texture have nothing to compare with the durians from Balik Pulau but what can you ask for more, own durians which can beat in its' taste.

I remember long time ago when I was in primary school, there was a night when we were still staying at our first house. My dad suddenly told my mom on a night that he wanted to go back to his mom's place for durians. The plan was to stay in the hut in the palm oil farm and wait for the thup sound of the falling of durians. So we packed some stuff with two powerful energized torch light and drove back. My mom and sisters stayed with my grandma while me, another sister and my dad went to the estate. It was really dark at night about 10pm I guess. I was not afraid of anything. I think I was too young to be afraid because I never can anticipate what will happen. A kid can't predict what will happen. Now as I think of it, there might be wild boar or snake wondering around. We sat in the hut quietly only surrounded by trees and the sound of insects and frogs. Everytime there was a thup sound, my dad hurried to the place where the sound came from with a torch light and pick up a durian. We probably stayed untill about 2am and got back home to sleep through the morning.

That was those days. Childhood. My dad.

4 comments:

Fang Fang said...

such cute mini durian! just like me! i bet it's as tasty as me as well.

Chiu Pin Teo said...

was I the'another sister' who went to the durian farm with you and dad??

pik lay said...

yes i think so. For sure is not da jie..

Doryn Teo said...

Sure it is not me coz I can't recall going there at nite.