Tuesday, July 31, 2007

chicken pox ABC

I am now totally perfectly qualified to give tutorial on chicken pox. I have graduated with distinguish honour of chicken pox degree majoring in discomfort and treating.

For those that still doesn't know what is chicken pox, it is a common illness among kids under age 12 (I am the one that had the pox at an exceeding age). It is accompanied by an itchy rash of spots that look like blisters appearing all over the body. Chickenpox is caused by the varicella-zoster virus (VZV). I sound so pro when typing the virus name because I copied it from the internet.

pre-chicken pox symptoms:

1) Feels sick, hot and cold on and off. Feeling like in the oven when you are in an airconed room, and thought the hot shower malfunctioned when bathing because you can't feel any heat of the water. Should have at least 37.1 degree body temperature to accuse your body to suffer from light fever.

2) Body aching. This one I had thought my lower back-sprain spread to the whole back :P)

3) Knee pain (This one more appropiate if I call it pain at the bones joint)


After a week, I got the first blister on my throat which I thought is a normal sorthroat and was being ignored. Another 3 days passed, and I had some rashes on my body. The rash begins as multiple small, red bumps that look like pimples or insect bites. They will develop into thin-walled blister filled with clear fluid turning yellowish.

Chickenpox is contagious from about 2 days before the rash appears and lasts until all the blisters are crusted over (which means now). Whoever that wish to have 2 weeks MC, please step forward and see me.

Normally you will be given an antiviral agent (Acyclovir 800mg) which is quiet costly. Please note that you might need to fork out extra money to cover the medical fees apart from the sponsorship by your company.

So, how do you deal with the itchiness and discomfort of the pox?

1) Bath in lukewarm water can relieve itching. By washing with mild soap, you can get rid of those fluid from accidently broken blisters. Baths do no help to spread the poxes. It relieves you.

2) Do not rub your body when drying with towel. Pat softly.
3) Apply calamine lotion on the spots to reduce itchiness but from experience, it only works for a while. After that you have to bear with the itchiness all night. Apply it after bath and every 2 hours :P


4) Swallow the counter-itchy pills given by your doctor. This doesn't work also for me.
5) Do not over-covered your body with baggy and thick clothes. Wear the lightest and least covered clothes. I realised that chicken pox will appear more under clothing that at the arm and legs which are open to air. Also avoid eating hot food, beware of the pox at throat.
6) Discourage scratching as it will leave ugly scar on the area.
OK. Finish with lectures. See you tomorrow.

4 comments:

Fang Fang said...

i don't wanna see you tomorrow

pik lay said...

you hurt my feeling, I am heart broken

Xweing said...

Thank you very much on your enlightening tutorial.

From your pre-symptoms:
1. On-off fever
2. Joint ache
3. Slight sorethroat

I think I just might have caught the chicken-pox virus!!!!!!! :((

pik lay said...

DOn't play play. If real, go and get medicine. Sorry my buddy ... :(