Monday, June 18, 2012

Baby J at 5 months

I introduced baby J to semi solid food since 2 weeks ago. I started weaning with rice cereal that was commercially prepared to get him get used to the softer and smoother texture of his first semi solid food as I mixed the rice cereal with expressed breast milk. He didn't accept the food so well in the first where he kept pushing the food out with his tongue. He could not understand the concept of swallowing food but now he will open his mouth when he saw his tiny cute weaning spoon approaching and close his lips to capture the spoon. He can swallow although sometimes bigger chunks of food still being pushed out from his little mouth.

I made mashed pumpkin for him. Steamed and mashed with potato masher , then serve to him with mixture of breast milk to thin the texture. I kept the left over in clean container and freeze them for subsequent feeding. I also tried mixing carrot into the rice cereal. Another food that I prepared for him is stewed apple, where I cooked apple cubes until they are soft and blend the apples. We bought some avocados and fed him on weekend too. The avocado has creamy texture and there is no early preparation or cooking required. I just mashed the avocado and mixed with a little hot water to thin the texture because I took the avocado straight out from the fridge. Baby J doesn't like cold food or milk. There are some left over that will be used for the rest of the week. We only feed him once a day , during dinner hour because that's the only time I can do this motherly task.

He started to roll over from tummy to back a week ago and subsequently in the next few days he was rolling like mad. He can roll on both sides now. Baby J was very fussy yesterday. He kept waking up after we put him to bed at night, every freaking half/one hour and cried! It was very tiring as he also woke up twice through night (after 12 midnight) and very early this morning.


We love him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

clever boy can roll over d. I share this with you as my girl woke up and rolled over/played around when she knew to roll. And
I found smt online saying that "The myth states that the child’s sleep is disturbed because the child is unsettled or off-kilter in some way when they begin to roll-over, sit up, learn to walk, and so forth. Like teething and attachment behaviors, the acquisition of motor skills occurs concurrently during the development of many sleep process and the relationship between sleep disturbances and new motor skills is coincidental, not causal."

~huei fen~